Don’t look now but the decade is quickly drawing to a close. With more than 155,000 new units delivered, the Dallas – Fort Worth market has added more new conventional units than any US market in that time. Certain submarkets stand out with regard to overall density, others stand out in raw change and still others show up when evaluating unit density by percent change. Using conventional properties and units per square mile as our density measure, let’s take a look.
Top 5 Submarkets – Density
- Uptown/Downtown/Park Cities: 8,264 units per sq. mile
- Park Ln/Greenville/Midtown East: 3,028 units per sq. mile
- Far North Dallas/Tollway West: 2,868 units per sq. mile
- Downtown/The Cedars/Deep Ellum: 2,617 units per sq. mile
- Farmer’s Branch/Addison: 1,561 units per sq. mile
Top 5 Submarkets – Change in Density
- Uptown/Downtown/Park Cities: +4,175 units per sq. mile
- Downtown/The Cedars/Deep Ellum: +1,253 units per sq. mile
- Park Ln/Greenville/Midtown East: +716 units per sq. mile
- East Dallas/M Streets/White Rock West: +378 units per sq. mile
- Oak Lawn/Riverfront/Medical Dist: +338 units per sq. mile
Top 5 Submarket – Percent Change in Density
- Rockwall/Rowlett/Sachse/Murphy: +192%
- Frisco/The Colony/Little Elm: +179%
- Uptown/Downtown/Park Cities: +102%
- Downtown/The Cedars/Deep Ellum: +92%
- Oaklawn/Riverfront/Medical Dist: +82%
In terms of highest density, the submarkets appearing at the top of the list were relatively unchanged from the start of 2010 to now. Although there was some movement in order, the only submarket from the top five in 2010 that no longer makes the cut is the Far North Dallas/Tollway East area which has dropped to 6th place and has been replaced by the Farmer’s Branch/Addison submarket.
On a percentage basis, the high growth in the far northern suburbs is apparent, as is the growth in the suburbs to the east. However, neither area has cracked even 100 units per sq. mile. Also noteworthy is that although the Fort Worth submarkets were included in the data, none appeared on any of the three Top 5 lists.
Want to Receive Our Free Monthly Newsletter?
If you don't already receive the ALN Apartment Data monthly newsletter, click the button and tell us how to send it to you.